Saturday 18 January 2014

Introduction


It's taken  me  quite  a  while  to  come  up  with  an  idea  for  another  chart-based  blog  to  compliment  those  already  out  there  but  I've  finally  come  up  with  something. This  one  is  going  to  look  at  debut  and  farewell  hits  i.e  the  first  single  to  make  the  charts  from  a  particular  artist  and  the  one  with  which  they  signed  off  ( willingly  or  not ).

To  keep  this  sensible  the  artist  in  question must  have  had  at  least  10  hits  to  be  included. For  this  purpose,  and  for  identifying  the  "goodbye " single, re-releases  ,re-makes, re-mixes  etc  of  previous  hits  will  not  count  towards  the  total. Collaborations  will  qualify  if  the  artist  has  had  some  active  involvement  (i.e  beyond  simply  allowing  a  sample  to  be  used )  and  their  contribution  is  not  primarily  based  on  a  previous  hit. It  may  of  course  count  as  a  "hello"  hit  for  the  collaborator. Medleys  will  only  count  if  they  are  recorded  by  someone  other  than  the  original  artist. I'm  sure  there  are  other  potential  anomalies  which  haven't  occurred  to  me yet.

It's  going  to  be  run  chronologically so  won't  be  covering  any  "Goodbye"  hits  just  yet.

Where  either  record  has  already  been  covered  by  Popular  or  Music  Sounds  Better  With Two  I'm  just going  to  post  a  link  unless  I  think  something  important  has  gone  unsaid.

I'm  open  to  the idea  of  one  or  more  people  collaborating  with  me  on  this  , particularly  genre  enthusiasts, so if  you  want  to  be  involved  just  drop  me  a  line.

4 comments:

  1. Certainly up for the idea of sharing some of the load on this one. Having someone else booting me up the arse may actually get my writing mojo working again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ! Are you interested in tackling any of the "crooners" or do you want to wait for the first rock and rollers ? I'll need to work out how to let someone else in on here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admit my knowledge of music tends to begin with the Beatles - but I'm more than willing to take an, ahem, "pop" at anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi DC - looking at the Permissions setting it seems as though I need your email address to invite you to be an author. It seems a bit cumbersome when you're already a fellow Google blogger. If you don't want to put it out publicly mine is mikemcsg@btinternet.com.

    ReplyDelete