Thursday 16 March 2017

618 Hello Kym Mazelle - Useless ( I Don't Need You Now )


Chart  entered :  12  November  1988

Chart  peak : 53  ( 48  in  re-mixed  form  in  1990 )

Number  of  hits : 13


Like  Jocelyn  Brown  ( with  whom  she  duetted  on  two  of  her  hits )  Kym  is  a  serial  collaborator  though  not  quite  to  the  same  extent.

She  was  born  Kimberly  Grigsby  in  Gary, Indiana  ( 1960 )   and  knew  the  Jackson  family  growing  up  there. She  studied  Entertainment  Management  at  Columbia  College, Chicago  and  was  drawn  into  the  house  scene  there. She  started  working  with  producer  Marshall  Jefferson  and  was  featured  vocalist  on  his  1987  single  "Tate  My  Love"  under  the  nom  de  plume  House  To  House. A  generic  club  record, I've  haeard  it  twice  in  the  last  hour  and  it's  made  zero  impression  on  me. I  don't  think  it  was  released  in  the  UK.

Though  it's  more  celebrated,  as  an  I  Will  Survive  for  the  nineties, I  can't  say  that  "Useless"  does  much  more  for  me. Jefferson  wrote  and  produced  the  track ,inspired  by  Ktm's  dissatisfaction  with  a  rotten  boyfriend.  Kym  lets  rip  in  the  vocal  department  and  there's  certainly  a  powerful  pair  of  lungs  beneath  that  huge  chest. Jefferson  adds  piano, funky  guitar  and  chattering  percussion  to  the  mix  to  fill  out  the  sound  behind  her  but  the  chorus  is  a  repetitive  chant  of  the  subtitle  and  you  just  don't  come  away  from  it  singing.

No comments:

Post a Comment