Wednesday 28 December 2016

576 Hello REM - The One I Love



Chart  entered  : 28  November  1987

Chart  peak  : 51  ( 16  on  re-release  in  1991 )

Number  of  hits  : 38

This  came  as  a  welcome  reminder  that  not  all  US  bands  were  metal  or  hip  hop.

As  it's  my  intention  to  resume  the  Albums  blog  when  this  one  catches  up  to  the  present   day, I'm  not  going  to  go  through  REM's  previous  material  here  and  I  think  my  post  on Eponymous  - which  includes  "The  One  I  Love" -  covers  the  ground  adequately.  It's  here.  


2 comments:

  1. An interesting angle from my perspective is that this is a band whose best work (for me) came prior to this. All of their first four albums are at least 8/10 quality in my opinion, with "Document" the point where they first wobbled, even if only slightly.

    This particularly single, however, is up to their prior high standards. One of those songs I spent hours trying to learn to play.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'd broadly agree with that; certainly they had more great songs behind than in front of them at this point.

      Delete