Tuesday 26 August 2014

191 Hello David Bowie - Space Oddity



Chart  entered :  6  September  1969

Chart  peak : 5  ( 1  on  reissue  in  1975 )

Number  of  hits :  65

This  one  entered  the  charts  the  week  I  started  school  giving  my  early  memories  ( not  yet  of  pop ) some  structure  from   this  point  on. So  this  feels  like  a  milestone  even  before  we  consider  the  vast impact  of  the  artist. Although  fairly  sentient  at  the  time  I  have  no  recollection  of  watching  the  moon landing  at  all ; perhaps  we  were  away  in  Lytham  St  Annes  or  I  was  playing  next  door  with  my long  lost  first  love  Gillian.

There  is  absolutely  no  point  in  my  running  through  Bowie's  extensive  list  of  failed  singles  when  we  have  Chris  O  Leary's  brilliant  blog  analysing  all  his  songs.Pushing Ahead Of The Dame.

And  then  of  course  there's  a  long  Popular  entry Oddity  on  this  particular  song.

So  all  I  can  add  is  my  own  impressions. I  agree  with  Marcello's  suggestion , made  just  the  other  day  in  his  review  of  the  Ferry  compilation,  that  this  getting  to  number  one  in  late  1975  showed  just  how  torpid  the  music  scene  was  at  that  point. I  certainly  thought  this  was  the  best  record  in  the  charts  at  the  time  ( Abba's  S.O.S  being  the  only  real  competition )  and  it  was  one  I  loved  to  sing  at  the  time  ( I  had  a  good  voice  before  they  dropped ).  Also like  MC, I'm  not  a  great  Bowie  fan, preferring  many  of  the  acts  he  influenced  to  the  man  himself,  but  this  one  stands  the  test  of  time.


No comments:

Post a Comment